Friday, June 4, 2010

Good News And A Return Between The Posts

Between work trips to California and my crazy schedule, I haven't had a lot of time to even think, let alone think about writing a blog post. I always struggle a little bit with blogs, not because I don't like writing them, but because I often wonder if anyone reads them.

Considering I have no followers, I assume that's the case.

But, it's okay. I really don't mind. Maybe someday I'll develop a following and make millions of dollars, but for now I'm content to have a place to express my thoughts. It helps, in this crazy world.

So, what have I been up to since May 21st?

A lot.

The biggest development, of course, was that I was offered a U12 girls travel team.

Can you say EXCITED?!

We had our first round of try-outs on Tuesday, and it's safe to say I was a little overwhelmed, but I have the benefit of working with the A and B coaches, who are amazing, and the coach of the team I am taking over, who is equally great. I'm confident that these three women will guide me in the right direction, and I couldn't be more thrilled about the opportunity to continue building my coaching resume, and learning to work with a team instead of individual training. I think I got the perfect age group, as well. These girls are talented little players, young enough that they won't hate me if I stumble or screw up, but old enough to understand the game. Plus, I will get to help them transition from 8v8 to 11v11 this spring, so that will be a good test of my own personal soccer philosophies, most of which I have developed from my own playing experience, and the wisdom of one Stu Pierson.

I seriously can't thank that man enough for his guidance, and hopefully one day I'll be a quarter of the coach he is. I'll admit that I was a little put off by him at first, but the more I listened, and the more I learned, the more sense his system and methods made. I wish I would have been able to play under him, but to stand by his side as an assistant coach was an honor, as well.

He actually encouraged me to start playing keeper again. I'd played off and on in the girls' practices, and made some saves out of pure joy that surprised everyone, including me. I didn't know I still had it in me.

"Why don't you play keeper anymore?" He asked me one day.

I had a million different excuses, but none of them seemed good enough, so I just shrugged.

"You should, you're really good."

I really had to stop and think about that statement. Am I a good keeper? I like to think I was at one point in my life, but I'm not sure if I am anymore. I like to think I'm a good soccer player in general. Not great, not brilliant, but good.

Still, the thought of playing keeper, despite my hesitations and doubts, always gets my blood running. There's just something about the position. I don't even know what it is.

Well, I got my chance on Wednesday. I stepped between the posts for the first time in about a year, and I was shocked at how nervous I was.

But you know what? I did well. I had no big mistakes (besides shanking a few drop-kicks) and I made two great saves. We tied 1-1, and I walked off the field feeling like I could do it again if I had to.

So thanks, Stu, for inspiring me to play keep again, and for inspiring me to keep pursuing this coaching thing. It's been a hell of a ride so far, and it's only bound to get better.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out :) The girls are gonna love you!

    I have a blog too...fitness blog if you wanna follow:

    http://fitnesstipoftheday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete