Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Meet Texas


Rule number one about new cleats: Don't put them on and proceed to play an intense soccer game. You will have no skin left on your heel. It only took 15 minutes.

Fortunately I had my old cleats with me, so I was able to pop off my beautiful, beautiful new ones in exchange, and proceeded to play a bang-up game. Of course, I missed two perfect goal scoring opportunities, but then again, I was a goalkeeper, and I do primarily play defense now. We still won 9-3 or something. It was a little ridiculous.

Anyway, enough about me and my new blister, affectionately dubbed Texas (his counterpart on the right heel is Rhode Island). I couldn't have picked a better week for hurting myself, considering my schedule is packed with soccer.

We had our last round of try-outs for the U12s on Monday, and I was super excited to pick my team that night, but we had to hold off on picking girls because there's still some debate on whether there will three or four teams. I'm really REALLY hoping they do four, as I'd hate to have to make cuts. I offered to do both teams, but, it's not my decision and I just have to go with whatever the powers-that-be tell me to do. Soccer land kind of feels like horse show land right now. Hurry up, hurry up, hurry up, WAIT!

Even though Texas was bugging me quite a bit, I still played last night in BIPs final spring league game. I ended up playing in goal again because our keeper hurt his hand, which was fine because I'm not entirely sure how Texas would have liked defense. He didn't exactly like having cleats on at all, but evidently my old turfs are acceptable. I didn't really get tested in net, but I did have a solid game. Made a few saves but mostly just controlled the defense and distributed. It was nice to feel confident back there again, and it helped that my defensive line was nearly flawless. I really love playing with those guys and gals, and I look forward to putting yellow on every week.

Today and tomorrow I'm helping out Stu with his try-outs, working out the keepers and essentially helping him split 60 girls into three teams. Stu has done so much for me that I'm happy to help him out whenever I can.

Other than that, there's not much to report. Lots of soccer, lots of work, lots of thinking about where I'm going to go and what I want to do with my life. But, that's nothing new either, really. I've always been guilty of thinking way too far ahead of myself.

For now, I'm just going to play, and hope that Texas doesn't turn into China.

No comments:

Post a Comment