Monday, September 13, 2010

More Self Reflection And A Crazy Week

After having mouth surgery from hell on Wednesday, I decided I needed to get out of Virginia and head north to the wilds of New Jersey for some quality distraction by my great friends. The boy and I try to head up there as often as we can, and as my schedule continues to fill up, it's becoming harder and harder to get away for the weekend. I've got so many great things going on now, and this week really is the first taste of what the rest of my fall is going to look like.

Monday: Goalkeeper Academy
Tuesday: Practice
Wednesday: (gasp!) Day off
Thursday: Practice
Friday: Stu Keeper Training twice a month
Saturday: Games
Sunday: Games

And of course, this schedule doesn't included my co-ed games, or my work responsibilities, though generally they don't conflict with each other. Generally. I'm sure that day will come.

I'm loving life, really, but sometimes I really miss riding. Like, really, really miss riding.

Maybe someday I'll be able to fit it all in.

Anyway, on Saturday I went and watched Centenary play Eastern at a pre-season tournament, and it was so fun to watch the girls play. Ashley, the goalkeeper who came in as a freshman my senior year, is in her final year on the team and played such a great game. I was so proud of her and how far she has come in the last four years. It was really cool to see how not only her game as improved, but her leadership on the field.

Way to go, Ash!

Of course, it's also always nice to catch up with some of the parents of the girls I played with, and catch up with  my old coach, the one and only Kevin Davies.

I have to say, he hasn't changed a bit, and although he's got a gruff, crusty exterior when it comes to what's going on on the pitch, he never fails to greet his former players with a big hug and kiss on the cheek, and say, "How you doing, girl," in that craggy Welsh accent.

Kevin Davies.

I loved him, I hated him, he drove me crazy, he inspired me, he made me hate soccer, he made me better at soccer, he pushed me until I broke then picked me back off, dusted me off and put me back out there, he helped me build layer one of my teflon coating, and he was, by far, the toughest and best coach I've ever had.

But I am so glad I don't play for him anymore!

Of course, I say this all in jest. I'd love to play for him again, especially now that I feel I am playing my best soccer, because truly, playing at Centenary under Kevin was definitely a turning point for my soccer career. He won his 100th career victory this year, and I sent him a congratulatory card. I told him that I would not be the person, player and coach that I am, right now, if it wasn't for him and the quality soccer I learned under his wing, and I will stand by that. I may not have been happy with his decisions then, but I understand them now, I have have enormous respect for the position he was in and the choices he had to make. He made the best ones. I know that, and I accept that.

Now when I stand on the sidelines, I feel a little taste of the pressure he must feel on a daily basis. Who to start, who to sit. Who needs the work, who can be a difference-maker? Who's not on today? Who is going to step up to the plate? Who has been working hardest in practice?

The questions and self-debates go on and on.

My girls start their season this weekend. I'm trying hard not to have too high of expectations, but my competitive spirit is dying to win a game. It's going to be a long week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment